Keep the Power On Volunteer Opportunity
4/22/2014 to 4/23/2014
April 22 and April 23
April 22 training 12-1 or 6-7pm; Clinic April 23 9:30am-1pm
Yale Law School and Yale-New Haven Hospital
See information below.
“KEEP THE POWER ON” UTILITY CLINIC VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
The “Keep the Power On” utility clinic is a collaborative project of the Medical-Legal Partnership Project of the Center for Children’s Advocacy, Yale-New Haven Hospital, United Illuminating, and local community agencies to help vulnerable families of New Haven keep their energy sources on. Many of Connecticut’s most vulnerable families will be faced with the challenge and perhaps crisis of paying their utility bills this spring. These families were protected under state statutes during the winter months, but face utility shut off as of May 1. Although heat and light service is increasingly expensive this year, unbeknownst to many families, United Illuminating and the State of Connecticut have a number of programs to help families with their expenses.
The goals of the “Keep the Power On” utility clinic are:
(1) assist families in avoiding utility termination,
(2) educate and enroll families in special utility programs, and,
(3) provide budget counseling to families so they can successfully comply with their payment obligations.
Volunteers are needed to assist with the “Keep the Power On Clinic”!!!
It’s a great opportunity to meet directly with families and hone your advocacy skills.
The role of the Pro Bono volunteer is as follows:
• Meet with families and discuss their challenges with their utility bills.
• Provide budget counseling – discuss the family’s monthly income, including all public benefits they receive. Then families are counseled on how to meet financial obligations even within a limited budget.
• Accompany the family to meet with the utility company representatives (who will be on site) to discuss the status of the utility account to determine whether they can enter into a payment agreement and advocate for the family.
• Attend a training to prepare for the event. Trainings are offered on Tuesday, April 22 from 12-1pm or 6-7pm at the Yale Law School, 127 Wall Street, New Haven, CT 06511
Utility Clinic Details: Wednesday, April 23, 2014
9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Yale-New Haven Hospital
East Pavilion Cafeteria, Special Events Room
20 York Street, New Haven, CT
Please contact Attorney Alice Rosenthal at email@example.com or (203) 688-0113 if you need additional information or if you are interested in volunteering.
« Go to Upcoming Event List